The driftwood wreath was a housewarming gift from friends. It originally was hung by itself in the master bedroom, but felt like it was a little small for the space. I liked the wreath and I realized it just needed a little help. I decided to find something to hang with it, the goal being to make the wreath feel more substantial. I considered options like a metal gate or just a decorative metal piece, but what I was finding seemed too busy, and would distract from the pretty texture of the driftwood. Ultimately, I realized I needed something simple, and a basic weathered window frame would enable the wreath to continue to be the star of the show, while serving the purpose of making it work on the large wall.
|Wreath hung without and then with the new window.|
I looked at several options for windows. I decided on the "four-pane" over the "six-pane" for simplicity's sake.
Distressing the window further was an option, but in the end I just cleaned it up and left it as is. The white paint was not lead paint (I tested it). However, it had some exposed paint underneath on the back, which I determined was lead paint (one good reason not to try to distress the piece any further). So, I encapsulated the whole frame in a few heavy coats of polyurethane.