Tuesday, March 11, 2014

BARN DOOR WALL ART

 
The barn door is one of my favorite pieces in our beach cottage.  It's a big focal point when you walk in the front door and it fits right in with the rustic style my husband and I are both drawn to.  We think it must have been a loft door given the smaller size.  I was lucky enough to find this on Craig's list and got a great deal on it.  I love that it is a kind of surprise - not necessarily something you would expect to see on the wall of a beach cottage, but the weathered wood feels "beachy" to me.

I did very little to it before hanging it, just a some cleaning up.  I used a wire brush and vacuumed it. I also rinsed it off with a 10% bleach solution.  Last, a light coat of mat spray polyurethane finished it off.

We used a French cleat to attach it to the wall as it was rather heavy - just a 1x8 ripped down the middle at a 45 degree angle.  The top half attached to the door itself and the bottom half attached to the wall.  We also attached a piece of 1x4 to the bottom back of the door so the door would not hang in at an angle.

 
 
Here it is in the dining room.  I think the dining room table could use an area rug underneath it, but I'm holding of because of the issues with sand in the beach cottage and making this area harder to clean. Should I go with function over form? Perhaps some light and airy curtains on the windows would soften up the space? Hmmmm.....
 
That back corner wall could use something too, but I already have an idea for that...another project for another day...
 
 
 
For more beach cottage posts see my Beach Cottage page.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that barn door hanging!! Where can I get one?? I actually want bbno e that is 44 inches tall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a couple doors similar to this in antique stores. You can also check places that specialize in architectural salvage. A final option would be to check out posts on Craig's List (which is where I found this one). Sometimes those selling barn wood will also be selling doors and other hardware from the barn where the wood is from. Good luck and happy hunting!

      Delete