Saturday, July 26, 2014

WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES

This is a recipe from The Idea Room that I modified slightly.  Link to Original Recipe: http://www.theidearoom.net/2011/07/whole-wheat-pancakes.html


One change I made is to use organic yogurt instead of cooking oil.  I have used both greek and plain yogurt as a substitute for cooking oil.  The other way I changed this recipe is to use organic ingredients where ever I can - milk, eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, blueberries.

Whipping the egg whites is key to give you a fluffy pancake when using wheat flour.  I have heard that in any baking recipe where you use wheat flour and eggs - you can place the yolks of the eggs in the batter at the point when the recipe calls for the eggs, and then whip the egg whites and gently fold them into the batter last.


A note on table syrup... We use Organic Pure Maple Syrup now.  Note that there are different grades of Pure Maple Syrup.  Grade B is actually "better" than grade A (it has more nutrients based on when it is harvested from the tree).  Grade B is also more expensive than Grade A.  I use Grade A for table syrup (about $12 a bottle at Costco), and Grade B for a sugar substitute in recipes (about $23 a bottle at Earthfare).
 
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 ½ Cups Wheat Flour (I use King Arthurs Wheat Flour)
  • 1 T. Baking Powder
  • 3 T. Raw Sugar or Brown Sugar (I use brown sugar - I like the flavor it adds)
  • 2 Eggs, yolks and whites separated
  • 1 ½ Cups Milk
  • 3 T. Oil (substitute 1 T. yogurt, greek or plain)
  • 1 Cup fresh blueberries (optional)
* I use organic milk, eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, and blueberries




INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Mix all the above and then fold in 2 Beaten Egg Whites.
  2. Pour a small amount of batter into each skillet (on medium heat)
  3. Add fresh blueberries to each pancake after they are in the pan. (I place about a dozen berries per pancake)
  4. Flip when brown to cook the other side. 
  5. Flip the pancake over and cook on the other side until it is also brown.
  6. Serve with fresh fruit and the syrup of your choice.
You can find other recipes on my Real Food Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment