Tuesday, June 26, 2018

DENIM RAG PILLOWS II




This is my second project to use the ragging technique on denim.  I had seen the ragging technique on items at local stores and I thought it created an interesting and unique texture.  The toss pillow I tried first worked out pretty well. (See that post here).

The previous post on this Denim Rag Pillow.  My first try using this technique

I had considered trying something more elaborate using this same technique. When I came across some old jeans in my fabric bin I had forgotten about - it seemed like a good time to try another project.

In looking for denim pillows using this type of ragging technique - you will find examples of pillows with a lot of denim squares sewn together in a type of grid pattern.  I decided on a striped design (which actually works pretty well when your source of fabric is the legs of old jeans).  I was going for a sort of "grain-sack-inspired-stripe".

I knew I wanted various shades of denim.  I figured I needed dark, medium & light to accommodate my design.  I had a good "light" and "medium" options, and with a quick trip to one of the local thrift store, and $6 later - I had a pair of dark jeans for the wide dark stripes.

STEP 1:  DECIDE ON SIZE OF PILLOW AND WIDTH OF STRIPES

My pillows were 20" square - so I created a couple different designs with this scale in mind.  I decided the smallest stripe would be 1" (at the very least).  I was concerned any smaller of a stripe and the denim stripe would get lost behind the ragged edges.  As for the larger stripes, I knew the largest limit was going to be restricted by the widest width of a leg of a pair of jeans.  I drew the designs on graph paper and determined the size of fabric pieces I needed.  Example: a 4" stripe would require a  5" x 21" piece of fabric for the 20" square pillow (allowing for 1/2" seems on each side.)

Denim Ragged Pillow Plan


STEP 2: AQUIRE THE DENIM & OTHER FABRIC

As I mentioned above, I had a couple pair of old jeans on hand.  All I had to do was purchase a pair of darker jeans to accommodate my design.  The fabric for the back of the pillow was from my existing fabric stash - the blue ticking stripe.  Option 2 for the back of the pillows would have been purchasing some creamy-white canvas I saw at Hobby Lobby.

STEP 3: CREATE PAPER PATTERNS

I cut out pattern pieces from graph paper.  I buy the giant pads of graph paper from office supply stores to make all my patterns (the kind that will fit on an easel in a conference room).  It's so easy to cut out what you need because of the 1" grid patterns on the paper and the size of the pieces of paper are very large.

Pattern pieces for denim stripes (cut from large graph paper)


STEP 4: CUT OUT DENIM PIECES & PILLOW FABRIC BACK

Cut out pieces of denim using the paper patterns, and lay them out in the pattern you are creating.  Also cut a 21" square for the back of the pillow (from whatever fabric you chose).

Strips of denim fabric cut to size of pattern pieces
Fabric pieces laid out for pillow pattern plan

STEP 5: SEWING

Start by pinning two pieces together.  Note that you will be pinning WRONG sides together because you want the seams to be exposed in the finished product.  This is counter-intuitive if you are someone that sews regularly as typically seems are hidden and you are pinning and sewing RIGHT sides together.  I found this to be a challenge and I ended up having to take apart pieces and re-pin when I realized I did it wrong!

Next sew the pieces together with 1/2" seams.  Then pin on the next stripe, and sew those pieces together, and so on until all the stripes are attached in a single piece to create one side for the pillow.  Pay attention to pinning WRONG sides together throughout this process!

Sew denim strips together with WRONG sides facing so that the seems will be exposed.

Here are the front pieces of both pillows after sewing all pieces together...



STEP 6: IRON SEAMS

Iron the seems open and flat.  This will make the next steps easier.

Seems ironed flat


STEP 7: TRIM SEAMS TO LENTGH DESIRED

I decided the 1/2" seam was wider than what I wanted.  I trimmed them all back slightly.  The larger the seam - the "bushier" the ragged look in the end product -  it's really just about your preference.  In the end I'm glad I did this step and made the seam slightly smaller.

You can see in the photo below, when I started clipping I had not ironed the seems flat yet.  I quit clipping, ironed them flat, and then proceeded.  I found trimming the seams much easier with the seems ironed out flat.

 Clipping the seams to make the ragged edge a little shorter


STEP 8: CLIP SEAMS

You will need a sharp pair of scissors for this.  If your scissors are dull - sharpen the ones you have (if you have the means to do this) or go out and buy a new pair (really, it will be worth it).  I find it easiest to use smaller scissors to do this step and the tips of the scissors need to be particularly sharp.

Clip all the exposed seams from the outside edge towards the stitched seam.  Do this with cuts about 1/4" apart.  This process takes a little while, especially with a lot of seams to clip.  I found it a good idea to do this in stages so my fingers wouldn't cramp up!

Leave about 1" unclipped on the edges of the fabric.  I did this because at least 1/2' on all sides do not need to be clipped because this part will be hidden in the seams of the finished pillow.  You can complete trimming to the edge of the pillow after the pillow pieces are sewn together.

Clip seams with sharp scissors


STEP 9: INSTALL ZIPPERS & THEN SEW PILLOW TOGETHER

This is only the second time I have installed zippers all by myself.  I don't think I can provide a good tutorial on this, so I didn't try (sorry).  I'm sure there are good tutorials/videos on installing zippers out there on the web, so I will let the experts provide that part.  You could skip the zipper and simply hand stitch your final pillow together after inserting the pillow form.  I wanted a zipper so I could easily remove these covers and wash them when necessary.

Assuming the zipper is installed on one side of your pillow, pin the wrong sides together of the front and back of the pillow.    Check out below what the wrong sides of the denim look like at this point.  It's an interesting look (with the subtle color of the back side of the denim fabric pieces) so I thought I would take photos and post them...

Wrong sides of pillows

Before you start sewing, make sure the zipper is open about an inch or two, or when you sew it together it's difficult to get the zipper open.  It's not impossible to open again, but it takes some maneuvering to grab the zipper pull on the inside of the pillow after it's sewn.  Now you are ready to sew the pillow together with 1/2" seams.

STEP 10: FINISH CLIPPING DENIM SEAMS

After sewing the pillow together, turn it right-side-out.  There will still be some seems along the edges that needed to be clipped.  Do this now.  Take the time to review all the exposed seams to make sure everything has been clipped.

Sewn pillows prior to washing


STEP 11: WASH PILLOWS

This is where the magic happens - your clipped seams will become cool fuzzy seams.  I zipped the pillows shut before washing, and then I dried them.  You will find lots of lint in the washer and the dryer.  The result is a unique ragged edge that creates a fun texture.

BEFORE and AFTER washing...



Finished Pillows


FINISHED PRODUCT

Here are the pillows finished and ready to be a part of our future family room.  I'm delighted with how they turned out!  I think the stripes work well with the coastal design of our beach cottage.

Finished Pillows

For more beach cottage posts see my Beach Cottage page.



No comments:

Post a Comment