Friday, January 20, 2012

MOSAIC BACKSPLASH

Broken Ceramic Tile Mosaic Backsplash

This is a broken ceramic tile mosaic backsplash on our laundry room sink.  I used mostly broken ceramic tiles saved by builder from the floor installations in our home.  I added a couple lines of the tumbled marble 2x4 tiles which were purchased on mesh squares. 

The design was created on mesh and then cut into pieces to mount on wall.  I find cutting it into pieces before installing to be absolutely necessary.  The thickness of these tiles (as opposed to small thin mosaic tiles) makes these types of projects very heavy.  I've done several wall mosaics on mesh of this style, and it always pains me to cut them up to install them.  I have this fear of the end result looking completely crooked and miss-shaped, but it always works out in the end!

Here's the before picture...



Broken Ceramic Tile Mosaic Backsplash - Before
Before Photo

...and a closeup to show detail...

Broken Ceramic Tile Mosaic Backsplash - Close Up


Here are a couple other similar broken tile wall projects...

  • MOSAIC WALL ART I
  • MOSAIC WALL ART II


  • I have a current project in the works where I plan to give more detail and photos on the process I follow to complete these types of projects.  I'm working on a large sea turtle mosaic to go in the master bathroom of our beach cottage.  Wish me luck on the installation - I'm at the point where I need to cut the piece up to install it (Yikes!). . .

    No comments:

    Post a Comment